tuscany-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Nash <n...@apache.org>
Subject [Fwd: Re: Tracking Tuscany extensions, was: Distribution zips and what they contain, was: SCA runtimes]
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2008 11:27:34 GMT
I'm resending this message, originally sent on 24 June, because it
doesn't show up in either markmail or the Apache mail archive.
Apparently it went into the tuscany-dev "black hole".

   Simon

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Tracking Tuscany extensions, was: Distribution zips and what they contain, was:
SCA runtimes
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 10:43:02 +0100
From: Simon Nash <nash@apache.org>
To: tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org

<48502899.3000208@apache.org>	 <C80A6B7F30644A48B004B61FF6C18B0A@rfengt60p>	 <48507155.7040901@apache.org>
<4850F176.4060302@apache.org>
<71e1b5740806120602g12bd1d4eodced7992470748b4@mail.gmail.com>	 <48514134.5030302@apache.org>
<4852E1D0.7070405@gmail.com>
<71e1b5740806150052o1ef244f4q9aa42e79d474d43b@mail.gmail.com> <2516867c0806151955m4b9ba30dvd201dd923e4a47d6@mail.gmail.com>

haleh mahbod wrote:
> Thanks Mike for putting things in perspective. It always helps to think of
> these topics in terms of problem that we are trying to solve and who the
> audience is before we get into the details of how to solve it. Your idea of
> creating wiki pages for each of these topics will help clarify things
> further and keep the discussion focused.
>

> I created wiki pages based on my understanding of this thread for items a
> and c.   It is a starting point and needs to be reviewed and fixed.
>

> a)       Basic modules, as we have today. ß created under  [1]
>
> b)      A variety of functional components, that represent sets of coherent
> functions. ß created under  [2]
>
> c)       A small number of large packages aimed at supporting end users in a
> series of environments and with a specific set of functionality ß created
> under [3]
>
> d)      Simple ways of starting Tuscany functionality - based on using the
> packages in c) [4]
>

> I also created wiki pages for items b and d, however I cannot articulate
> what problem we are trying to solve with b and d.  Can you please expand on
> these two? What is the problem? Who is the audience?
>

> This email thread is 32 emails deep on gmail. It is extremely difficult to
> read and follow. Once there is agreement on the categories, can we start a
> separate thread per category and continue updating the wiki pages as the
> discussions solidify? This is like using the wiki pages as a white board for
> keeping discussions focused. I have created these pages under [5]
> and I hope that others find this approach useful.
>
> [1]
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/Basic+Modules+Runtime+Bundles
> [2]
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/functional+components+at+runtime
>
> [3] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=88325
>
> [4
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/Simple+ways+of+starting+Tuscany
>
> [5]:
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/SCA+Java+White+Board+Index

I updated pages [1] and [2] to reflect the latest discussions on these topics.
Please note that the link posted above for [1] is wrong and should be
  [1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/Basic+Modules-+Runtime+Bundles

I added a "Next steps" section to each of these pages.  I hope this will be
helpful in keeping the discussions moving forward, by identifying what needs
to be done next to make progress towards a consensus that we can implement.

Any comments are welcome, either on the contents of the Wiki pages or on the
approach being used to structure this discussion.

   Simon