tuscany-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Sebastien Delfino <jsdelf...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tuscany participation at Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2008
Date Sat, 08 Mar 2008 04:39:04 GMT
Luciano Resende wrote:
> Apache Software Foundation is participating in Google Summer of Code
> program [1] as a mentoring organization. I think this is a good
> opportunity for us and I'd like to use this thread to discuss possible
> innovative and challenging projects that could attract the students
> participating on the program. Maybe we could start be defining some
> themes, and then projects around this themes, then, once we have a
> couple of projects, we could use wiki to create a small description of
> the project.
>
> Possible themes :
>
>    Tuscany Extensions (new bindings and implementations)
>    Web 2.0
>
> Thoughts ?
>
> [1] http://code.google.com/soc/2008/
> [2] http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2008

Here are a few ideas:

A) Simplify the development of Map/Reduce applications and their
integration with various sources of information.

Integrate Apache Tuscany and Apache Hadoop to allow developers to
develop Mappers/Reducers/Combiners as SCA (Service Component
Architecture) components, and make it really easy to assemble them
together using SCA compositions and integrate external sources of info
using the SCA bindings supported by Tuscany (e.g. Web services, JMS and
JEE apps, Atom feeds).

B) Integrate Google services in SCA compositions.

Add a GData binding to Apache Tuscany (could be an extension of the
current Tuscany ATOM binding) to allow people to integrate SCA
compositions with Google services and GData clients.

C) Use Tuscany and Apache Shindig to mash-up Google gadgets and backend
SCA service components (Web Services, existing JEE services etc).

That GSoC project could explore a few interesting options, including:
- Use SCA to model references from Javascript gadgets to server-side
services, and provide transparent access to these services (by injecting
Javascript proxies into the gadgets, similar to what Tuscany currently
does with its SCA Widget component support).

- Use SCA composites to configure and assemble the gadgets together as
well, allowing the application developer to use a consistent SCA-based
assembly model for client-side mashups, server-side compositions and
mixes of the two.

I may propose one or two more ideas in a day or two, after I think about
them a bit more over the weekend :)
--
Jean-Sebastien