tuscany-dev mailing list archives

From "Antollini, Mario" <mario.antoll...@intel.com>
Subject RE: Tuscany participation at Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2008
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:49:38 GMT

Other topic,

Propose a solution for Service Level Agreement Support for Tuscany
Applications

This requires an SLA description language, annotations to add in the
application code in order to instrument it, and an SLA engine
(monitoring, automatic reaction, policy injection, etc).

Regards,
Mario

-----Original Message-----
From: Luciano Resende [mailto:luckbr1975@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2008 4:16 AM
To: tuscany-user@ws.apache.org
Cc: tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org
Subject: Re: Tuscany participation at Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2008

Very good ideas, I have started collecting them in our wiki [1] and
would be great if we could get some details together with each
suggestion. Sebastien's suggestions look good as an example of
explanation for the given project idea.

Thanks and let's continue with the brainstorm....

[1]
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/Google+Summer+of+
Code+%282008%29

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Jean-Sebastien Delfino
<jsdelfino@apache.org> wrote:
> Luciano Resende wrote:
>  > Apache Software Foundation is participating in Google Summer of
Code
>  > program [1] as a mentoring organization. I think this is a good
>  > opportunity for us and I'd like to use this thread to discuss
possible
>  > innovative and challenging projects that could attract the students
>  > participating on the program. Maybe we could start be defining some
>  > themes, and then projects around this themes, then, once we have a
>  > couple of projects, we could use wiki to create a small description
of
>  > the project.
>  >
>  > Possible themes :
>  >
>  >    Tuscany Extensions (new bindings and implementations)
>  >    Web 2.0
>  >
>  > Thoughts ?
>  >
>  > [1] http://code.google.com/soc/2008/
>  > [2] http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2008
>  >

>  Here are a few ideas:
>

>  A) Simplify the development of Map/Reduce applications and their
>  integration with various sources of information.
>
>  Integrate Apache Tuscany and Apache Hadoop to allow developers to
>  develop Mappers/Reducers/Combiners as SCA (Service Component
>  Architecture) components, and make it really easy to assemble them
>  together using SCA compositions and integrate external sources of
info
>  using the SCA bindings supported by Tuscany (e.g. Web services, JMS
and
>  JEE apps, Atom feeds).
>

>  B) Integrate Google services in SCA compositions.
>
>  Add a GData binding to Apache Tuscany (could be an extension of the
>  current Tuscany ATOM binding) to allow people to integrate SCA
>  compositions with Google services and GData clients.
>

>  C) Use Tuscany and Apache Shindig to mash-up Google gadgets and
backend
>  SCA service components (Web Services, existing JEE services etc).
>
>  That GSoC project could explore a few interesting options, including:
>  - Use SCA to model references from Javascript gadgets to server-side
>  services, and provide transparent access to these services (by
injecting
>  Javascript proxies into the gadgets, similar to what Tuscany
currently
>  does with its SCA Widget component support).
>
>  - Use SCA composites to configure and assemble the gadgets together
as
>  well, allowing the application developer to use a consistent
SCA-based
>  assembly model for client-side mashups, server-side compositions and
>  mixes of the two.
>

>  I may propose one or two more ideas in a day or two, after I think
about
>  them a bit more over the weekend :)
>  --
>  Jean-Sebastien