tuscany-dev mailing list archives

From "Rajini Sivaram" <rajinisiva...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Using contributions in the tutorial, was: Improving the store tutorial module structure
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2008 12:13:08 GMT
On 1/3/08, Simon Laws <simonslaws@googlemail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> wrote:
>
> > On 1/3/08, Simon Laws <simonslaws@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > > frustrated
> > dependencies,
> copes
> start
> > > called.
> contribution
> > is
> contributions
> and
> > > at
> > be
> > for

> > Shouldn't resolution be associated with a contribution rather than a
> > composite contained within it? When a composite is assigned to a node,
> > should the node find out which contribution it came from and process all
> > composites and componentType files from the contribution?

> > the
> > > domain (or directly to the node) then it is passed through the
> > > contribution
> > > processor resulting in an in
> > > memory model of the provided contribution. The model isn't "built" and
> > > "activated" until the node is started.
> > >
> > > AFAIUI there is no lifecycle model in the contribution processor.
> Either
> > > all
> > > the required dependencies are available or they aren't. So, in the
> case
> > > where dependent contributions are being added separately, they must be
> > > processed in the correct order according to the
> > > sca-contribution.xmlinformation.
> > > sca-contribution.xml is itself provided inside the contribution.
> > >
> > > The domain/node currently assume a user adds contributions
> incrementally
> > > (there is no bulk load capability). We could consider delaying the
> > > processing until the user trys to start the domain, i.e. you assume
> that
> > > is
> > > the point they have all of the contributions added that they need.
> > However
> > > don't think that helps as how do we know which contribution to process
> > > first. From this thread we are relying on the order of addition.
> >

> > We rely on the order of addContribution only because the contribution is
> > resolved when it is added. If the resolution can be delayed until all
> the
> > contributions are added (ie. all sca-contribution.xml files are
> processed
> > first as each addContribution is called, and the composite and
> > componentType
> > files from all contributions are processed later when the domain is
> > started), then the order in which the contributions were added or the
> > order
> > in which they are resolved wont matter (except if there are multiple
> > copies
> > of the same class in different contributions). But with the current APIs
>
> Are you referring to the contribution service or to the node/domain here?

I was referring to the node/domain APIs since I was expecting something in
these APIs to trigger the resolution of contributions.

> > where contributions can be added or removed at any time, can you really
> > assume that "start" is the right time to resolve contributions?
>
> You can't change the node once it has been started (or if you can it's a
> bug), I.e. you can't add/remove contributions or composites. You can't use
> node until it has been started.

This is the time I should just give up. I thought the domain also processed
contributions, and you could add contributions to the domain at any time.

My question was about the contribution service API which allows
> contributions to be added one at a time. Even if we did nothing in the
> Domain/Node until start() was requested, when we assume all required
> contributions/composites are available, we still have to process
> contributions one at a time.
>
> I agree that we should determine the tree of contributions based on
> sca-contribution.xml. However sca-contribution.xml is inside each
> contribution so it may be sensible to separate the read and resolve phases
> of the contribution service so that all contributions can be read first
> and
> then resolved in the correct order. Otherwise we need some extra
> processing
> to extract the sca-contribution.xml information.

The contribution service does have separate read phase and resolve phase.
But at the moment, read and resolve are both triggered by addContribution.
If you can trigger them separately from the domain and node APIs...

So I think we are saying the same thing.

--
Thank you...

Regards,

Rajini