tuscany-dev mailing list archives

From "Simon Laws" <simonsl...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Distributed Composites
Date Mon, 30 Apr 2007 21:13:01 GMT
On 4/24/07, Simon Laws <simonslaws@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Following on from the release content thread [1] I'd like to kick off a
> discussion on how we resurrect support for a distributed runtime. We had
> this feature before the core modularization and I think it would be good to
> bring it back again. For me this is about working out how the tuscany
> runtime  can  be successfully hosted in a distributed environment without
> having to recreate what is done very well by existing distributed computing
> technologies.
>
> The assembly model specification [3] deals briefly with this in its
> discussion of SCA Domains
>
> "An SCA Domain represents a complete runtime configuration, potentially
> distributed over a series of interconnected runtime nodes."
>
> Here is my quick sketch of the main structures described by the SCA Domain
> section of the assembly spec.
>
> SCA Domain
>     Logical Services - service to control the domain
>     InstalledContribution (1 or more)
>         Base URI
>             Installed artifact URIs
>         Contribution - SCA and non-SCA artefacts contributed to the
> runtime
>             /META_INF/sca-contribution.xml
>                  deployable (composites)
>                  import
>                  export
>         Dependent Contributions - references to installed contributions on
> which this one depends
>         Deployment Time Composites - composites added into an installed
> contribution
>     Virtual Domain Level Composite - the running set of SCA artefacts. Top
> level services are visible outside domain
>         Component, Service, Reference
>             Derived from notionally included installed composites
>
> The assembly spec says that "A goal of SCA's approach to deployment is
> that the contents of a contribution should not need to be modified in order
> to install and use the contents of the contribution in a domain.". This
> seems sensible in that we don't want to have to rewrite composite files
> every time we alter the physical set of nodes on which they are to run.
> Typically in a distributed environment there is some automation of the
> assignment of applications to nodes to cater for resilience, load balancing,
> throughput etc.
>
> The assembly spec is not prescriptive about how an SCA Domain should be
> mapped and supported across multiple runtime nodes but I guess the starting
> point is to consider the set of components a system has, i.e. the set of
> (top level?) components that populate the Virtual Domain Composite and
> consider them as likely candidates for distributing across runtimes.
>
> So I would expect a manager of a distributed SCA runtime to go through a
> number of stages in getting the system up and running.
>
> Define an SCA Domain (Looking at the mailing list Luciano is think these
> thoughts also)
>   - domain definition
>        - as simple as a file structure (based on hierarchy from assembly
> [...]

I've transferred this information over the the project wiki (
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/Distributed+Runtime) and
I've added a few more thoughts about how we can start off with quite a
simplistic approach. I'm keen to get some input on this so feel free to
comment here and add notes to the wiki. I hope that we can start to cut some
code asap (well at least once the release activity has died down this week)
to help us understand the problem so if any of this takes your fancy fell
free to roll up your sleves etc.

Regards

Simon