tuscany-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Sebastien Delfino <jsdelf...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FW: Tutorial for Apache Con
Date Mon, 30 Apr 2007 20:02:57 GMT
Antollini, Mario wrote:
> Jean-Sebastien,
>
> It looks very go overall. However, I think the abstract should have an
> introduction to SOA and Tuscany must be introduced after that.
>
> What do you think about this?:
>
> *
> Service Oriented Architecture (SOA for short) is an architectural style
> whose goal is to achieve loose coupling among interacting software
> agents. A service is a unit of work done by a service provider to
> achieve desired end results for a service consumer. Resources on a
> network in an SOA environment are made available as independent services
> that can be accessed without knowledge of their underlying platform
> implementation. The values provided by SOA include an increase of
> flexibility, agility, and better responsiveness to constantly changing
> business environments. SOA solutions are composed of multi-language
> reusable services, with well-defined, open and published interfaces (not
> necessarily relying on Web Services). Even though implementing services
> may be straightforward, deploying an SOA infrastructure is not. The
> Service Component Architecture (SCA for short) is a new standard that
> simplifies SOA programming, describing a model for building applications
> and systems relying on a Service-Oriented Architecture. SCA gives
> developers and architects the ability to represent business logic as
> reusable components that can be easily integrated into any SCA-compliant
> application or solution. The resulting application is known as a
> composite application. The Apache Tuscany incubator project provides an
> implementation of SCA, providing an easy to use infrastructure and
> programming model for developing SOA solutions that address practical
> business problems.  The overall goal of the project is to provide an SCA
> based platform to simplify the deployment of distributed composite
> applications written in various programming languages such as Java, C++,
> scripting languages or BPEL, integrated with other Apache projects like
> Geronimo and Axis2.
>
> This document will explore how to use SCA and Tuscany to build composite
> service applications. Coding examples showing how to assemble SCA
> service components and implement an SCA composite application will be
> also presented. Tuscany will be used to build, deploy and run an SCA
> application on top of Apache Geronimo, communicate with Web Services
> using the Tuscany Axis2 integration, and integrate Web 2.0 clients using
> JSON-RPC. The way to embed and reuse parts of Tuscany to provide support
> for the SCA programming model will be also presented. Finally, it will
> be explained the way to extend Tuscany with additional SCA component
> types, programming languages, or SCA bindings and communication
> protocols.
> *
>
> Isn't it somewhat extent? Any comments welcome....
>
> Mario

Mario,

This looks good as input for the actual training materials, but it seems
that we need to submit a 200 words max abstract of the training session
(see http://www.us.apachecon.com/).

I think that my initial text was exactly 200 words, the new text is 368
words :)

Some examples of other similar training sessions are available there:
http://www.eu.apachecon.com/program/day/?date=2007-05-01

Could we replace the first sentence I had: "The Apache Tuscany incubator
project provides an easy to use infrastructure and programming model for
developing SOA solutions that
address practical business problems." by a very condensed version of
your introduction to SOA and SCA in one sentence or two max? I realize
that summarizing SOA and SCA in one sentence and a half is going to be
tough :)

Thoughts?

--
Jean-Sebastien