tuscany-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Sebastien Delfino <jsdelf...@apache.org>
Subject Re: composite reconfiguration
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2007 15:15:13 GMT
Valerio Schiavoni wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> does Tuscany/SCA provide any support for dynamic reconfiguration of
> deployed composites ? The question is not strictly related to specific
> technologies, even tough I do recognize that shipping composites
> within OSGi bundles could help in this perspective - well, it would
> delegate to the osgi runtime the reconfiguration resposabilities i
> guess -
>
> thanks,
> Valerio

Hi Valerio,

Yes. I'm not sure if it already works in the latest runtime as Luciano
is still working on the first cut of an implementation of the SCA
ContributionService and it's not fully integrated with the rest of the
runtime yet, but it should/will allow you to do the following:
- add/update/remove SCA contributions (packages containing composites
and component implementation artifacts) to/from the SCA domain
- add/update/remove deploymentComposites, declaring the top-level
components active in the SCA domain
These operations are described in the SCA assembly spec - chapter 1.10.4
- Operations on SCA contributions.

Doing this will update the configuration of components, including the
configuration of their properties, bindings, and references (by rewiring
them to other components).

I think it will be useful to expose the configuration of the SCA domain
and the ContributionService operations as JMX operations as well at some
point. We have the beginning of a JMX infrastructure in our jmx module.
We could start leveraging it when the ContributionService is in a good
enough shape.

I also agree with you that OSGI may help, providing good isolation
between bundles and help to manage their lifecycle (to reload/restart an
updated bundle for example). However I've not looked at our OSGI
integration for a few weeks and last time I checked it was not building.
It would be good to restart this OSGI work and see how we could plug SCA
contributions packaged as OSGI bundles into the SCA ContributionService.

Do you have any specific re-configuration use cases in mind that we
should support? Would you be interested in helping with some of this work?

--
Jean-Sebastien