tuscany-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Sebastien Delfino <jsdelf...@apache.org>
Subject Do we need Ant builds for our samples? was: SCA source tree and build structure
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2007 16:41:35 GMT
[snip]
Bert Lamb wrote:
> I agree with almost all of this

Great :)

> except the part about having ant and
> maven builds, this sounds like the beginning of a dual maintenance rat
> hole that I doubt we want to go down.

Here is why I was proposing an Ant build for the samples:
- We had this in M1, our samples were initially only built with Maven
but then we thought that it would simpler for our users to be able to
build the samples with just Ant. IIRC our M1 release included Ant
scripts for the samples.
- We wanted to have Ant scripts in M2 (see [1] and [2]) but they
eventually didn't make it to the actual release distribution.

The idea is to help Ant users build our samples. Also, I'd like to make
sure that our runtime story is not too tied to Maven and that it's
actually convenient to build SCA/Tuscany applications with something
else than Maven. On the other hand we need to show how to build some
samples with Maven as well. Other projects like Axis2 for example have
adopted a similar approach. They build their runtime with Maven, and
their samples with Ant.

On the other hand, I agree with you about the dual maintenance rat
hole... I don't want dual maintenance either. To avoid dual maintenance
maybe we could have the pom.xml just call the ant script? or have some
samples built with Ant, some with Maven? or... I'm also happy to not
worry about building samples with Ant for now if people think that it's
not useful, I don't particularly like writing build scripts :)

What do people think?

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-tuscany-dev/200611.mbox/%3C455BA409.2090804@hursley.ibm.com%3E
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-906