tuscany-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Webservice via Axis2 in Tomcat.
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2006 17:43:02 GMT
There is also the bridge scenario where people are using JSON to talk
to Ajax clients for the UI but want to access back-end services that
are using SOAP/HTTP or SOAP/JMS (or XML over JMS ...).

I think this is why we need a spectrum of distros determined by user
scenarios. By the time we throw everything in that anyone might want
to use then the kitchen sink variety will be huge, giving a false
sense of complexity that will put people off and will be a nightmare
to release as it will require syncing up all the plugins. The other
extreme is a minimalist one with nothing in it but which allows/
requires people to figure out and add in function that they need. I
don't think either of these is ideal.

What I've been proposing is a set of distros based on common runtime
platforms that people will use. The ones so far are a standalone
(J2SE) platform and a web-app (J2EE) platform; there's been some
discussion of a Tomcat platform (i.e. Tomcat + SCA enhancements) like
M1, and another would be a Celtix platform. These are somewhat
exclusionary - for example, we will not need to include the Tomcat
integration code on non-Tomcat platforms, it's just not relevant.

I think users will use these differently, for example, using the
standalone one as a client, Tomcat for web-app development or Celtix
for integration. The different usage patterns will show us which
extensions are relevant for that pattern and we can include those in
the distro (reducing the number of things users need to add or remove).

--
Jeremy