tuscany-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Marino <jmar...@myroma.net>
Subject Re: SCA and mbeans
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2006 15:24:36 GMT
Hi Carl,

I did a quick read of the Wiki and here are some thoughts to start
off with:

1. As was mentioned, SCA doesn't yet have a specific management API.
Speaking from a spec perspective, that is one of the important things
we do want to do. While there is the ModuleContext API, that will
probably not give you what is needed and it will likely change. So, I
would recommend sticking with Tuscany specific APIs for now
(hopefully Tuscany will influence the spec in this respect).

2. On the Tuscany specific APIs, I just committed a number of changes
into the old repository since the Apache one was not yet up at the
time.  I need to patch the Apache code contribution but will probably
not be able to do so until Wednesday since I am traveling and on dial-
up.  When the code goes in, can you have a look at
org.apache.tuscany.context.Context and its subclasses/interfaces,
notably AggregateContext? Contexts in Tuscany manage various runtime
"code units" such as component implementation instances. I was
thinking we would have these wrapped by some management technology
(e.g. JMX). We also maintain a copy of the logical assembly model
derived from SCDL (or some other source). Right now, each
AggregateContext maintains a pointer to one of these models in the
form of a "Module". Hence, it should be possible to view all of the
child of an aggregate context (some of which may be "leaf" contexts -
SimpleComponentContext - that correspond to SCA components). Also, it
should be possible to go from the runtime representation (the
contexts) to the logical representation contained in the Module.
Things are in the early stages so it would be good to get feedback on
what we need to do.

3. In terms of integration with Celtix, I was thinking that Tuscany
would be dropped into the former runtime much as it would be placed
in another host such as an OSGi container.  Again, the changes I just
committed should help with this although there will be a lot of work
that needs to be done. My initial thoughts are that this integration
would look something like:

     - Write bootstrap logic to get the Tuscany RuntimeContextImpl up
and running. This involves creating a child system context with
whatever services Celtix provides for Tuscany (e.g. transaction
management, data binding, etc.). There are some Junit tests which
demonstrate this programmatically. One of the steps here would be
defining a deployment structure, artifacts, etc., parsing them, and
bootstraping the Tuscany runtime context with them.

- Creating binding and handler and handler components that are
configured as Tuscany  system components. We (Tuscany) still need to
do quite a bit of work to enable this but the idea is these
components would be aware of the underlying Celtix transport
technologies and would "interface" between it and the Tuscany
runtime. The Tuscany runtime will be "self-configuring" such that
extensions and system components are just a special form of SCA
component implementation contributed to the runtime as a module.

I've oversimplified point 3 and I imagine there will be a bunch of
issues that arise but early feedback will help us a lot. One issue
that may come up right away is with the data binding. Does Celtix
support multiple databinding approaches? Right now, Tuscany is
dependent on SDO, although the long-term goal is to make that pluggable.

Jim