turbine-user mailing list archives

From "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: AW: Dependency hell in 2.4 (was AW: troubles migrating to turbine 2.3)
Date Fri, 06 Aug 2004 08:13:15 GMT
"tobias rademacher" <tobias.rademacher@innowake.de> writes:

>Hi Henning,

>> The problem is, that many projects depend on
>> non-released-more-or-less-arbitrary snapshots of the commons. And
>> these are in part incompatible.
>>
>> The release schedule of commons is unfortunately quite
>> "flexible", yep.
>>

>I totally agree.

>In both cases even the API does not seem to be stable, which is pretty
>awfull, as you cannot rely on it. So I really beg everyone not to use
>another stupid commons snapshot yet :).

>And you are right - the commons stuff needs better defined release cycles to
>avoid that problem in future.

>I hope you choose a more stable versions - if ever avialable - of these commons stuff
when you
>release Turbine 2.4.

Well, I will not. :-) I don't work on the 2.4 code base (yet), because
my current projects are very 2.3 based. When they are finished, I plan
to take a good look at the 2.4 core where Eric already did tremendous
things in the process of moving towards a more flexible solution with
the Pipeline and the Avalonization [1].

>BTW Any roadmap ideas? ;)

Only for 2.3. I plan to CfV for 2.3.1 very soon now. I was hoping that
the Torque guys would get their act together for 3.1.1 but it doesn't
seem that they will.

	Regards
		Henning

[1] Personally I always had an ambient look at those "end all, rule
all, do all" frameworks like Avalon, HiveMind or Spring. The endless
in-fighting around Avalon, the Avalon PMC, the Merlin project, the new
proposed top-level Metro project are not building trust in their code
(in my eyes).

And I think, that the IoC metaphor is already overrated, dragged
around too much and (also IMHO) not really feasible for some aspects
of a project. Just another buzzword.

I was never really able to figure out how to translate e.g. our
logging approach with log objects and logging into categories into an
IoC approach.

                                    Open Source Software Development"