turbine-user mailing list archives

From "tobias rademacher" <tobias.rademac...@innowake.de>
Subject AW: AW: Dependency hell in 2.4 (was AW: troubles migrating to turbine 2.3)
Date Fri, 06 Aug 2004 13:31:02 GMT
Hi Peter,

> Eric is talking about cutting a 'milestone' release of 2.4
> this weekend for
> people who wish to use a cut of cvs with the pipeline (for example the
> antelope project).

This would be really cool ;).

> Having done it a couple of times, I think turbine 2.3 --> turbine 2.4
> migration is pretty straight forward at present.

..not if you don't exactly use all the snapshot versions of commons
used in Antilope.
Actually this is more a problem of dicipline of the commons guys.
Its somewhat lame to release something with a unstable API. But even
M$ did this - consider the drama when .NET Beta1 increases all
developers have to change there current code. There are many critical
voices about the way Sun deals with Java, but thanks to the Sun guys
I never experienced such problems when migration a beta-JDK probject
to a new one - even with a couple language changes (Merlin beta to Merlin Release,
same can be reported about Tiger).
Having said all of that the commmons projects defintily needs some sort of
chair, but actually its in the responsiblity of every developer if he
uses a snapshots or not. IHMO APIs and Interfaces should be stable whereas
implemenations may differ.

> Having spoken at length with Eric recently, we are both
> tending towards
> proposing Excalibur-Fortress as the default container for Avalon style
> components in turbine 2.4. If anyone has anything to
> contribute on this
> topic, please do so. It would be great to get opinions...

The avalon guys should really minimize the container locks or stop spanning
yet another freaky container syndrome. ;) I hope can work luckly now with
the excalibur stuff, keeping my fingers crossed.

> SOC and IOC work for me and I find the Avalon framework
> interfaces very
> convenient.

Does they support higher levels of Dependency Injection now?

> Keel uses Fortress also as its container, but as you say, it
> should be easy
> to add wrappers or adapters to allow components to work in
> many different
> containers.

Yes definitly. There are some modifications necessary. I minor problem
are the lifcycle methods, but they can be abstracted away. All what have to
be done is defining a minimum set of interfaces and bases classes working
completly idependent in all sort of containers.

> I think Eric is interested in the Spring service. Could you
> contribute it?

I hope I am allowed to do. If not I can write some new by my own in
order to avoid licences clashes. Actutally you have to reimplementd all
Manager Components access the DB using Hibernate. Having done this you have
to modify some Turbine Components in order to get it working painlessly with
Spring. Spring has a different philosophy. The Container Registry is bind
to the servlet context which means that you have to switch some components
(Tools, AccessControler, LoginAction, LogoutAction, etc.) to work request orientent
and not on to of the more static factory like conecpt TurbineServices introduces.

Bye
Toby