turbine-user mailing list archives

From Mike Manner <test0...@oreka.com>
Subject Re: Fulcrum Build Results -- REVISED missing dependencies
Date Sun, 18 Jan 2004 20:02:45 GMT

Hi Eric,

I was looking for a security framework around and finally I found the
security component, part of the fulcrum project.

It seems to be a good choice considering that it is open source, well
designed (though it is an alpha version) and offers persistence through
hibernate !

I have read the online explanations and the "simple" implementation
model proposed with hibernate seems to be a good compromise between
functionality and complexity.

However I'm not sure I have exactly understood the way to use the api.

So as described in the doc we have four entities : users, groups, roles
and permissions.

I wondered if I can do this :

1. define fine grained permissions and hard code them in my applications
to define what a user can do or see.

2. configure as many roles as I want : i.e. create roles and set
permissions to the roles ( as long as the application relies only on
permissions, roles can be created and deleted whitout any problem...)

3. set roles to groups

4. add users to groups

So groups are central in this design.

What I want to do is a web interface for managing users, groups and
roles for web-applications (and I intend to insert the permissions
directly in the database so they cannot be modified through the web
interface).

Am I wrong with that ?

Mike