turbine-user mailing list archives

From "Webdesign" <webdes...@advance-enterprise.com>
Subject Castor,Turbine, OJB (was: Re:Require a turbine/velocity developer in ChCh New Zealand)
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2002 06:02:01 GMT

It seemed like a good idea at the time :)

I didn't want to have to play with SQL directly, and the use of object peers
wasn't too appealing to me, so I went with castor. Since quite a bit of the
code now uses castor, that's what we're using (I started the project which
is now being developed by AEL).

Castor handles everything to do with transactions, can change database
layouts without having to recompile, easy to query objects etc.. No peer
classes have to be created to put things into a database. One neat feature
was the ability to save object straight to XML (Marshal/Unmarshall), which
is especially useful when tracking financial transactions. Castor also uses
a memory cache so that really speeds things up. I would like to see some
more development to be able to play with the cache directly, but there are
workarounds. Overall a nice seperation of the database level stuff from the
application. There are some limitations but over time these things may be
fixed.

As for all the standards, all nice and well. All I wanted was something to
put between the app and the RDBMS so we could query the object directly. It
does use SQL which I believe is a standard, and not going anywhere soon :)

I never even gave torque a try. Hade a look at the way queries were built
and I decided there must be something simpler.

I haven't had much of a look at OJB so I can't really say much about it.
Maybe when this round of development is finished I may have time to look at
it.

Feel free to enlighten me :)

Web Design
Advance Enterprise Ltd (AEL)