turbine-user mailing list archives

From Adam Sherman <a...@tritus.ca>
Subject Re: BLOBs (Binary Large Objects) & Torque/Turbine
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2001 17:24:49 GMT
On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 01:02:02PM -0400, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> On 10/1/01 12:46 PM, "Adam Sherman" <adam@tritus.ca> wrote:
>
> > I'm using TDK 2.1.
> >
> > I am trying to build a file management system, and thus need *real*
> > BLOB support (Since objects do not have a size limit). I've been
> > trying to do this using the OM stuffin Torque.
> >
> > However, I've bee unable to find a lot of docs on the subject. Could
> > someone point me in the right direction?
>
> In Tambora we moved away from using blobs and just storing pointers to files
> in the file system. Working with blobs proved to be a real PITA especially
> with Postgres as that seems to be what you're doing.

Hmmm, interesting. I've built the prototype for this app in PHP using
Large Objects, and it has worked perfectly.

Note the advantage of using BLOBS: you access the files inside a
transaction.

And just to clarify, I'm using PostgreSQL Large Objects, which are
really stored as pointers to the filesystem.

So, any hints about using Torque to generate an OM that contains
BLOBs?

Thanks,

A.

--