turbine-user mailing list archives

From Brian Briggman <Brian_Brigg...@timerasolutions.com>
Subject RE: Turbine eats memory!
Date Thu, 03 May 2001 17:59:46 GMT
Threads in Java typically use 400kb of JVM memory per thread (for both
Win and Solaris).  In addition, when running native threads, a thread
usually gets another 10k of memory from the OS (outside of your JVM
memory allocation).  The garbage collector will eventually clean up
this memory as the threads die, but that's why you're seeing the amount
of used memory grow.  There are directives that you can set when you
fire up the JVM to tell it how much memory to use per thread, so 400k
is just the default setting, but it is strongly advised to go no lower
than 400k per thread.  Hope this helps at least explain what you're
seeing - there are tricks to aid in the scalability of a threaded program,
as well as tricks to increase the frequency of the GC running, so either
write me personally, or continue using JProbe - it's a great tool!!!

Regards,
Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Gareth Coltman [mailto:gareth_coltman@majorband.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2001 4:16 AM
To: turbine-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Turbine eats memory!

Hello,

I am worried about the amount of memory Turbine seems to use.

I am hitting a page rendered by Velocity but with no additional processing
(ie the screen doesn't have any kind of extended doBuild method).

Memory usage continues to grow whenever I refresh the page. I expected an
increase at first, with template and object caching, and the creation of a
new session. But it goes up by about 400k per hit? Any ideas what's going
on?

My investigations thus far have revealed that it is definitely NOT new
sessions. I'm now installing JProbe to have a look.

My suspicion at the moment is dodgy GC under W2K (JDK1.2). It appears that
after a while (10-15 mins) memory use by Java suddenly reduces to about
13mb's (this is what I would expect with Turbine + 1 cached page + cached
objects + session).

Is this a windows jvm problem? I will be moving to Solaris development soon,
so if so, its not a tragedy.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Gareth Coltman