turbine-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] plans for turbine 2.3
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 00:55:39 GMT

Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org> writes:
>

>>Look in the framework:
>>http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-avalon/src/java/org/apache/avalon/framework/logger/
>

>>AbstractLogEnabled.java
>>AvalonFormatter.java
>>ConsoleLogger.java
>>Jdk14Logger.java
>>Log4JLogger.java
>>LogEnabled.java
>>LogKit2AvalonLoggerAdapter.java
>>LogKitLogger.java
>>Logger.java
>>NullLogger.java
>

> Yep. Horrors.
> That's exactly what I don't want in Turbine. The
> logging code that I plan to check in has exactly 10 lines of code to
> set up and replaces the whole LoggingService and lots of this "try to
> log before we have something like LogService but switch to it after it
> came up" horrors that spread all over Turbine and the Service Broker.

I don't understand what your problem is, we have no problem in using it
in many projects.

Probably you were not doing it right, but I dunno actually what your
code looked like.

Remember that static loggers are hell in a server environment. The
Component mus tuse the logger it gets from the container, period. Easy,
clean, safe, and easily configurable.

Try using Commons logging in a server environment with 10 apps all using
it, and you'll see that you will start losing control on what's
happening to the loggings.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -