turbine-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PullModel for localization??
Date Sat, 02 Jun 2001 16:20:28 GMT
Jon Stevens wrote:

> on 6/1/01 3:57 PM, "Martin Poeschl" <mpoeschl@marmot.at> wrote:
>
> > would it make sense to use the PullModel for localization?? (instead of
> > ResourceBundles??)
>
> The LocalizationService is already 99% of the way there. Just make it
> available in the context through a small PullTool wrapper and you are set.

It looks like like you have to use ResourceBundles which forces you to
place
your localized messages in java sources files? Is this the case? If so
then
IMO the localization services needs some work.

I asked Craig to put the Struts MessageResources classes into the
commons
because I think that approach is better: one in which localized messages
can be taken from any source. This would allow, for example, localized
messages to be stored in XML files and these XML files could have a
known
DTD which would allow a non-programmer to work with a tool like XML Spy
to correctly produce a set of localized message resources.

I've never used ResourceBundles, but if it is the case that you have to
edit a java file and compile it to get localization to work than I don't
think that's even close to an ideal solution. Correct me if this is
not the case. I asked Craig to put his classes in the commons so that
we could eventually use them for the turbine localization service.

> > if i set scope to session, each user could select his language. right?
>
> Yup.
>
> -jon
>
> --
> "Open source is not available to commercial companies."
>             -Steve Balmer, CEO Microsoft
> <http://www.suntimes.com/output/tech/cst-fin-micro01.html>

jvz.

Jason van Zyl