From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Move from the IRC to Slack
Date Sun, 12 May 2019 14:18:31 GMT

> On May 11, 2019, at 23:35, James Peach <jamespeach@me.com.invalid> wrote:
>

>> On May 12, 2019, at 3:32 PM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Note that this is the ASF workspace, not just ATS. Automating account creations here
seems like a bad idea, but I guess you can run it by the ASF infra ops. My guess would be
that they say no :-).

> So users won’t be able to join and participate unless they have some out of band way
to ask for an invite? If that’s the case, I don’t think this is a good idea.

You think it’s a serious burden to send an email to e.g. users@ or dev@ and ask for an invite?
Doesn’t seems a whole lot more burdensome than going to a website that you must find.

— Leif

>> Cheers,
>>
>> — Leif

>>> Most project use https://github.com/rauchg/slackin to automatically issue invites.
We should do that here as well.

by June 1st.  This is in response to ASF moving to Slack for Infra and other channels and
spamming that has happened on the IRC over the last year.

be invited.  We would keep the IRC channel open after the migration to notify people of the
Slack channel.