From Eric Chaves <e...@uolet.com>
Subject Re: Can ATS handle other protocols other than HTTP/HTTPS?
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2019 14:48:07 GMT
Hi Igor,

Great questions! The short answer: it allows me to handle integration at
the edge of my networks.

The long answer:

The majority of our application runs in cloud-based solutions, some of them
in serverless environments and even those who do require (virtual) servers
(ie ec2 based) are dynamically allocated across a multiple
regions/locations. On top of that some communications must follow a given
route but other should be able to work in the actual IP network where they
are. In this scenario the network design (ie network ranges, nat, routing
tables, ip tables, vpn, etc) have too many moving parts.

Since the majority of my integrations falls into two categories:
Webservices (HTTP/REST/SOAP etc) and File Transfers (FTP, SFTP, FTPS).
Those are all very well handled by proxies battled tested over years in
high demanding scenarios and it's easier to setup in accordance with my
integrations endpoint network requirements without actually incurring in a
complex network design on my side.

Caching is not a requirement, in fact it will hardly be used. But I need to
have good management support, ability to growth in cluster modes and some
other facilities where ATS (at a first glance) seems better than squid,
which is why I'm giving ATS a shot. The Proxy does need to know nor handle
anything specific to support my applications, it just need to do it's job.
Everything else is on my application side =)

Regards,

Em qua, 20 de fev de 2019 às 00:28, Igor Cicimov <
igorc@encompasscorporation.com> escreveu:

> Eric,
>
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 6:56 am Eric Chaves <eric@uolet.com wrote:
>
>> Nice! Thank you for answering!
>>
>> Em ter, 19 de fev de 2019 às 17:57, Jeremy Payne <jp557198@gmail.com>
>> escreveu:
>>
>>> i've configured putty to send traffic through ATS, same should work for
>>> FTP.
>>> your FTP client will just have to support using a HTTP proxy.

>>> working on my AWS infrastructure (I'm having a hard time to work my way
>>> around the logs, I confess) so I wasn't able to test much yet. =)

>>> correct and are expected.

>>> protocol, or is it HTTP "aware" only?

>>> a non-cache forward proxy between my application servers and some 3rd
>>> partners servers. My applications server are dynamically allocated (AWS EC2
>>> auto-scaled) but my partners services require us to reach them with a
>>> single IP addres, hence the idea of using ATS.

>>> protcolos other than HTTP/S like FTP/S (and not required but desired SFTP).

>>> for those other protocols.

ATS