From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What is the best way to scale ATS?
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2018 17:06:04 GMT

> On Jul 23, 2018, at 7:27 AM, Susan Hinrichs <shinrich@oath.com> wrote:
>
> We use a load balancer in front of our clusters of ATS servers to scale horizontally.
 You could also just leverage ECMP routing in your router to similarly distribute connections
(plus some extra work to deal with servers coming up and down).    We have a proprietary CARP
plugin to share cached data between servers.  Moving forward I think that logic is being folded
into the next hop logic, parent selection logic.

In addition, for a small number of servers, multiple A-records and some sort of IP-take over
would probably work well (using e.g. the other “CARP” :-). Funny enough, the CARP that
Susan refers to is Microsoft’s Cache Array Routing Protocol (or some such), whereas traditional
CARP is

	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Address_Redundancy_Protocol

For a small set of servers, I’d look at something like that I think. Another known to work
option is Linux’s HA features, like Heartbeat and Pacemaker (I think).

Cheers,

— leif