From "Durfey, Ryan" <Ryan_Dur...@comcast.com>
Subject Stale-while-revalidate plugin bug - origin clock ahead of ATS clock
Date Wed, 24 May 2017 17:33:54 GMT
All,

We have run into issues with the “stale-while-revalidate” feature.  We have found services
where the stale-while-revalidate feature seems to be engaged despite the fact that no “stale-while-revalidate”
cache control headers are being specified by the origin.  A sample curl is below which illustrates
the max-age=1, and the actual age=23 and the “Warning: 110 Response is stale”.  The via
header is decoded below as well and indicates a cache hit.

Our engineer realized this was being caused by the origin server clock moving ahead of the
cache server clock which caused the freshness calculation to be thrown off.  The left side
of the equation was calculated to be negative by the difference in the clocks and therefore
be less than the max-age until the time between the two clocks is exceeded.

In our opinion this should be considered a bug in the plugin.  The calculation should compare
the txn_start date (local ATS date) to the remote date, because the cached date can't be earlier
than now().

This also brings up another issue. We are running the stale-while-revalidate plugin https://github.com/apache/trafficserver/tree/master/plugins/experimental/stale_while_revalidate
, however according to the read.me “THIS PLUGIN IS DEPRECATED IN FAVOR OF CHANGE TO CORE”.
 We are trying to figure out where this feature is implemented in the core.  Perhaps it is
in a 7.x and we are not there yet.

Would love feedback on whether this should be considered a plugin bug worth fixing or if the
core has been updated in a later version.

Plugin Calculation Code is here: https://github.com/apache/trafficserver/blob/master/plugins/experimental/stale_while_revalidate/stale_while_revalidate.c#L579

Freshness Calculation is    (state->txn_start - chi->date) < (chi->max_age + chi->stale_while_revalidate)

Environment
Running ATS6.2.1 at the edge
Running ATS5.3.2 at the mid (in process of upgrading)

✗ curl 'http://<removed>/chunklist.m3u8' -vo /dev/null
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0*   Trying 2001:558:fe1c:10::2...
* TCP_NODELAY set
* Connected to <removed>/ (<removed>/) port 80 (#0)
> GET  /chunklist.m3u8 HTTP/1.1
> Host: <removed>/
> Accept: */*

< HTTP/1.1 200 OK
< Access-Control-Expose-Headers: Date, Server, Content-Type, Content-Length
< Access-Control-Allow-Headers: Content-Type, User-Agent, If-Modified-Since, Cache-Control,
Range
< Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 16:00:31 GMT
< Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *
< Access-Control-Allow-Methods: OPTIONS, GET, POST, HEAD
< Age: 23
< Via: http/1.1 <mid host removed>/ (ApacheTrafficServer/5.3.2 [uScSsSfUpSeN:t cCSi
p sS]), http/1.1 <edge host removed>/ (ApacheTrafficServer/6.2.1 [uScHs f p eN:t cCHi
p s ])
< Connection: keep-alive
< Warning: 110 Response is stale
<
{ [297 bytes data]
* Curl_http_done: called premature == 0
100   297  100   297    0     0  16914      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 17470
* Connection #0 to host edge.music-choice-vc-chaina2.top.comcast.net left intact

Ryan Durfey