Hey Kit,

Thanks for taking time to respond my emails, I still have some confusions, hopefully you can help me understand more about those pieces.

The background here is we are trying to do a forward proxy, the reason I was thinking about using ts.schedule is that it can keep get the latest our control data from a external end point like whatever NOSQL family solution via ts.fetch, so that we don’t have to depends on the __init__ function with which we have to restart the traffic server to get latest data. The __init__ function can be used to serve the first fetch of data, this is what in my mind at beginning.

Looks like the pieces I missed here is a shared_lua_dict part, that other lua script won’t be able to access whatever that scheduler fetched.

Now I’m thinking a different path to make this happen, maybe not ideal, but maybe gonna work, what if I have a do_global_read_request (we are forward proxy, we don’t have remap rules) and checks where the a request being called, and where I can match our control fetch, and then that will fetch the data from a external point that has our control data and update the GLOBAL variable, which will be used in the same script.

============================

local control_data = {}

function __init__()
  -- do whatever the logic to fetch a external endpoint, and update lua table control_data,
  -- maybe use luasocket to do that
end

function control_request()

  local url_host = ts.client_request.get_url_host()

  if url_host == '127.0.0.1' then
    -- for example this is our local cron call to update the control_data table, could match with IP or whatever make sense.
    -- ts.fetch our endpoint to get control_data

    local res = ts.fetch(url, {method = 'GET', header=hdr})
    if res.status == 200 then
      -- parse result, and update the contorl_data
    end

  else
    -- this is client normal call, check if our control_data has logic on it, for example simple allow or not
    if control_data[url_host] == 'allow' then
      return 0
    else
      -- this is not allow
      ts.http.set_resp(403)
      return 0
  end
  return 0
end

function do_global_read_request()
   ts.hook(TS_LUA_HOOK_READ_REQUEST_HDR, control_request)
   return 0
end

If I understand this correctly, the init will only be called once at traffic server start up, and then all the rest request will go through do_global_read_request logic (we are forward proxy).

two questions here:

1. with this work flow, after init, I will have a control_data table, and if I update it by local calls from 127.0.0.1 and update that control_data table, does the following requests check the control_data with new data or still the initialized data by init ?

2. ts.fetch’s context is after_do_remap, you mentioned that yesterday, I don’t have the do_remap(), but do_global_read_request(), I call the fetch inside a Hook, I should be OK ?

Thanks,
Di Li