From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Different Cache Disk for different size of objects
Date Mon, 21 Mar 2016 18:56:08 GMT
I don't know of anyone that is interesting on working on that specific feature. What we have
been talking about is an automatic migration of objects up and down the storage  hierarchy.

Having it write to SSD first could be both good and bad (fast but lots of write wear).

> On Mar 21, 2016, at 12:19 PM, Muhammad Faisal <faisalusuf@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> OK. But this feature can be added right? May be in future releases. It can improve caching
performance by avoiding seek time of disks which increase over the period of time with high
disk WR.
> --
> Regards,
> Faisal.

is the scenario I'm trying to implement:

>>> Object size <1MB -----> SSD
>>> Object Size > 1MB ----> HDD
>>>
>>> This will improve Caching performance as smaller objects will be served from
SSD while larger objects will reside on the HDD.

>> No, not at this point. Part of the issue is that we select “storage” before going
to origin, so you don’t know what the size is going to be before you get the response. And
at that point, you (currently) can’t move to a different storage / volume. But @amc would
know best.