From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Github vs Jira for comments
Date Mon, 30 Nov 2015 19:40:22 GMT

> On Nov 30, 2015, at 1:55 PM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Now that we agreed to use Github as a patch / review board, the question is: Where do
we post comments? On the Jira, or the Github pull request? My preference is constantly using
Jira, for two reasons

> 1) Our automated release notes refer to the Jira, it’d be a lot easier to track discussions
in one place.

> 2) Sometimes (not always)  github pull requests are closed, and reopened, leaving a difficult
trail to follow.

> Thoughts or concerns? Note that this might change if/when we get to a unified ticket
and code review system. My primary concern and goal now is that we have consistency here,
i.e. one place to look for comments / discussion threads.

Replying to myself, of course…

There is a unidirectional “sync” of Github comment posts to Jira. So, if we did decide
to make Github the canonical source of comments, the Jira will have that trail. The downside
then is that whenever you use Jira tools for tasks such as release management, bug triaging
etc., any comments made on those Jira’s are not copied over to Github.

— Leif