From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: persist specific requests only in RAM cache
Date Mon, 28 Sep 2015 21:25:23 GMT

> On Sep 28, 2015, at 2:53 PM, Phil Sorber <sorber@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 2:48 PM Jeremy Payne <jp557198@gmail.com <mailto:jp557198@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> i am going to test this tonight, but are you saying that it's possible to split the cache
based on some transaction condition?

> meaning the below would be stored in ramdisk.
>
> http://media.domain.com/chunk.ts <http://media.domain.com/chunk.ts>
>
> while the below would be stored in a generic(disk) volume.
>
> http://media.domain.com/image.gif <http://media.domain.com/image.gif>
>
> again, i have yet to test, but i believe this is all driven by setting the cache key
to use the domain which is mapped to the ramdisk volume.
> if this sounds right to you, then it means i am on the right path.
>

> I know for sure you can specify what volume you want something to land on. Not sure if
setting the cache key will do this for you though. Worth a shot.

> Also, I think was Leif was suggesting was that you turn the ram cache off in favor of
a ram drive, but that will have the side effect of turning ram cache off for your non-volatile
storage as well which I do not think you want.

Right, it depends on what the non-volatile disks are, and what percentage of traffic goes
on them. If they are SSDs, odds are that they can do just fine without RAM backing.

Another option that might be more attractive is to look at e.g. bcache (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bcache
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bcache>).

— leif