From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [FEATURE REMOVAL v6.0.0] Prefetch and prefetch.config
Date Fri, 05 Jun 2015 18:58:18 GMT

> On Apr 28, 2015, at 12:43 AM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 21, 2015, at 2:44 PM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> There’s a feature in ATS, which is poorly understood, and unsupported, which intends
to fetch content based on parsing HTML. It’s our belief that this is either better done
via either of

>> 	1) HTTP/2 and the LinkRel headers. Server PUSH might also help or eliminate the
need for this.

>> 	2) An external piece of software (or ATS plugin). For example, the Pagespeed plugin
could do this.

>> Eliminating this feature would also remove the configuration file prefetch.config.
>>

>> This is tracked in the Jira
>>
>> 	https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-3167
>>

>> Unless we hear otherwise within 1 week, this will be implemented for 6.0.0.
>

> No objections have been made to this, so we will proceed with this proposal.

I’m going to make a small change to this. We will remove this as a feature (config etc.),
but I’m going to leave the code mostly intact. The reason for this is that I think there
could be reasons to repurpose some of this code for H2 and PUSH promises.

— Leif