From Paul Tader <pta...@collectivei.com>
Subject Re: forward proxy - Restricting domains.
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2015 17:50:28 GMT

> On Jan 9, 2015, at 10:33 AM, Paul Tader <ptader@collectivei.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 9, 2015, at 10:22 AM, James Peach <jpeach@apache.org> wrote:
>>

>>> On Jan 9, 2015, at 8:00 AM, Paul Tader <ptader@collectivei.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hmm, I didn’t think about a DNS blackhole.  For now I’m looking into additional
remap files using the “.include” directive in remap.config but I get these errors after
running traffic_line -x

>>> [Jan  9 15:57:04.270] Server {47752783210240} WARNING: Could not add rule at
line #126; Aborting!
>>> [Jan  9 15:57:04.270] Server {47752783210240} WARNING: [ReverseProxy] Unknown
directive ".include" at line 126
>>> [Jan  9 15:57:04.270] Server {47752783210240} WARNING: something failed during
BuildTable() -- check your remap plugins!
>>> [Jan  9 15:57:04.270] Server {47752783210240} WARNING: failed to reload remap.config,
not replacing!

>>> My remap.conf has these two lines:
>>>
>>> .include /etc/trafficserver/filters.config
>>> .include /etc/trafficserver/set1.remap.config
>>>
>>> …which is odd because the documentation states:
>>>
>>> "The .include directive allows mapping rules to be spread across multiple files.
The argument to the .include directive is a list of file names to be parsed for additional
mapping rules. "

>>> http://trafficserver.readthedocs.org/en/latest/reference/configuration/remap.config.en.html
>>
>> Does your version of ATS match the version of the docs?
>

> Nope and I apologize for that. Time to upgrade.
>
> Thanks everyone.

Before I upgrade, I’ve tried a “deny all” map as the last line in remap.conf and listing
all the allowed sites before this deny line, but it doesn’t take.  Can something like this
be done?  (ATS version 3.04)

map http://apache.org/   http://apache <http://apache/>.org   @action=allow   @src_ip=12.34.56.123
map /                    http://127.0.0.1    @action=deny @src_ip=0.0.0.1-254.254.254.254

internal IP address or IP address range to only be able to proxy certain top level domains
(ie google.com, yahoo.com, etc)?  I’ve read a lot on remapping, but I don’t think that
is the correct approach.

of domains is smallish, then something in remap.config might work as well. I’ve done this
in the past, blocking all but a few HTTPS sites (via setting remap.required to 1 in records.config).
The other option is to allow all sites, but list the ones that you intend to block (map them
to some nonexistent domain or IP, e.g. 10.0.0.0).