From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Future of traffic_shell ?
Date Fri, 16 May 2014 16:32:31 GMT

On May 16, 2014, at 9:30 AM, James Peach <jpeach@apache.org> wrote:

> On May 15, 2014, at 12:57 PM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I’d like to remove the existing traffic_shell command. This is one of two remaining
TCL places, and as far as I know, this is of little use. Now, a significant portion, but not
all, of traffic_shell has been reimplemented as a Perl script. I’m hoping this is an adequate
tool to at least achieve much of what people might be using traffic_shell for. What’s missing
is the “config” portion, where traffic_shell implements basically the equivalent of calling
traffic_line -s -v.

>> Unless there are objections to this, I’d like to proceed by
>>
>> 	1. Eliminate existing traffic_shell
>> 	2. Replace it with traffic_shell[.pl], the perl script
>> 	3. Clean up the documentation. Much of it stays the same (the show: commands in
the perl script are identical), but some would be defunct.

> I don't think that traffic_shell is widely used, and I question it's usefulness in the
first place. In general, I think the direction we should move is in a small suite of command
line tools to supplement traffic_line. I think you are right that traffic_line is getting
to be a kitchen sink :)

Yep. My preference would be to have at least two sinks; traffic_line as it has been for a
long time is exclusively to talk to the mgmt port, whereas other tools (including traffic_shell)
have been a hodge lodge. So, maybe a traffic_tool? I also feel that it’d be better with
a Perl (or Python, or Go) than a C/C++ program for the kitchen sink of admin tools, since
most such tools would be written by people with little or no C++ skills (and I wouldn’t
expect them to).

> So I'm +1 on nuking TCL and willing to accept the demise of traffic_shell if that's what
it takes. I'm ambivalent about replacing it with a perl version, since I don't think it is
widely used.

Ok. The reason I wrote the perl script is because there were rumblings last time we tried
to remove traffic_shell.

— Leif