From James Peach <jpe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Future of traffic_shell ?
Date Fri, 16 May 2014 15:30:16 GMT
On May 15, 2014, at 12:57 PM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I’d like to remove the existing traffic_shell command. This is one of two remaining
TCL places, and as far as I know, this is of little use. Now, a significant portion, but not
all, of traffic_shell has been reimplemented as a Perl script. I’m hoping this is an adequate
tool to at least achieve much of what people might be using traffic_shell for. What’s missing
is the “config” portion, where traffic_shell implements basically the equivalent of calling
traffic_line -s -v.

> Unless there are objections to this, I’d like to proceed by
>
> 	1. Eliminate existing traffic_shell
> 	2. Replace it with traffic_shell[.pl], the perl script
> 	3. Clean up the documentation. Much of it stays the same (the show: commands in the
perl script are identical), but some would be defunct.

I don't think that traffic_shell is widely used, and I question it's usefulness in the first
place. In general, I think the direction we should move is in a small suite of command line
tools to supplement traffic_line. I think you are right that traffic_line is getting to be
a kitchen sink :)

So I'm +1 on nuking TCL and willing to accept the demise of traffic_shell if that's what it
takes. I'm ambivalent about replacing it with a perl version, since I don't think it is widely
used.