From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Curious about proxy.config.remap.num_remap_threads
Date Sat, 23 Nov 2013 18:41:15 GMT

> On Nov 23, 2013, at 12:13 AM, Mark Moseley <moseleymark@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 7:51 PM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Nov 22, 2013, at 11:18 AM, Mark Moseley <moseleymark@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm looking to deploy ATS in a very busy, remap-heavy reverse proxy environment.
I'll be using a handful of lines of Lua to remap based on an incoming header.

>> > The new proxy.config.remap.num_remap_threads option sounds like it'd be pretty
important to set for such a scenario.

>> > Could the devs chime in on what would be an appropriate # for this setting?
>> >
>> > Should 1 suffice? Should it be equal to # of cores? Or something much higher?
>>

>> The only use case I think think of for the remap threads feature is if you have a
plugin that can block a thread. With block, I mean, not yield it in some reasonable amount
of milliseconds. For now, if you use this remap threads processor, you also have to turn off
the per thread sharing of sessions, and switch to a single global session pool.

> Ok, so it sounds like if something isn't blocking, then there's no need to set it at
all then. My Lua code is just doing some munging on the original destination IP, so should
never block. Sound right?

Right.

-- Leif