From James Peach <jpe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: the cluster refine codes in on refine_cluster branch
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2013 16:11:55 GMT
On Nov 20, 2013, at 10:45 PM, Yongming Zhao <ming.zym@gmail.com> wrote:

> 20 hours ago, Weijin pushed out our first effort of forward porting our cluster refine
codes, in this big fat patch, we have refined the cluster communication in the message level,
to archive better performance.

> what we do:
> 	• make cluster a pure message driven layer, no more vc splice on each side
> 	• cleanup the msg encapsulation and callback implements
> 	• modified the cache cluster interface
> due to the big change we made, there is something we changed in the cluster:
> 	* load monitor
> 	* hostdb cluster interface
> as our main platform is Linux, and due to the network codes we can not reuse, we have
made some dirty codes into the new cluster, that will need more work to get clean, to make
it multi-platform aware and clean.

> anyway, it is out, please join us on the hacking and testing.
>
> those codes performs >4G/box traffic in our network, and there is no limit in cluster
performance anymore

> please refer to the codes and wiki:
> codes in:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=trafficserver.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/refine_cluster
> wiki at:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TS/Clustering
> jira at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-2005
>
> the patch is a joint effort of WeiJin and YuQing

Thanks guys, and thanks for writing up the changes. I'll try to review over the next few weeks
and ask a lot of questions.

One think I'd appreciate a lot is some guidance on how to test clustering. Do you have advice
on setting up a performance benchmark for testing the cluster? Do you have any measurements
from your own testing that you can share?