From James Peach <jpe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Can ATS keep more than 500mbit/s traffic for single instance?
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2013 04:11:45 GMT

On Nov 21, 2013, at 7:57 PM, Adam W. Dace <colonelforbin74@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, once you've gotten past your immediate problem and are looking to deploy my Wiki
page may help:

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TS/WebProxyCacheTuning
>
> To call it "best practices" would be a bit much, but I spent quite a bit of time simply
tuning ATS for my own uses.
> The page is finally stable(i.e. I'm done now) and I'm quite pleased.  I'm hoping once
the next release is out the door
> I can start bugging the commiters to take a look and review it.

Yes, that's a nice piece of work! The effect of proxy.config.system.mmap_max is interesting;
were you ble to test with tcmalloc?

> Regards,
>

> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 9:53 PM, Adam W. Dace <colonelforbin74@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I'm not mistaken, that usually indicates the -incoming- HTTP connection limit has
been reached.
> Unless you've modified the generic config, that usually clocks in at 30,000 simultaneous
connections.

> Maybe you can tweak the test that's generating those connections and have them request
fewer, bigger objects.
> You also might want to take a look at proxy.config.net.connections_throttle in records.conf.
> I'm not sure what the impact of raising it might be, though.
>

> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Pavel Kazlenka <pavel.kazlenka@measurement-factory.com>
wrote:
> You are right, I see
> >Server {0x2b74d72c1700} WARNING: too many connections, throttling
> in diags.log
>
> My test simulates 1k origin servers and 1k user-agents on 500 clients (2 agents per ip).
Which kind of connections this warning about (client or server side?) and what can be improved
here?

> On 11/21/2013 10:42 PM, Leif Hedstrom wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2013, at 11:50 AM, Pavel Kazlenka <pavel.kazlenka@measurement-factory.com>
wrote:

> Hi gentlemen,
>
> I'm trying to estimate maximum performance of ATS 4.0.2 on single server in forwarding
proxy mode.
> Server hardware is 6-core CPU ( +6 cores with HyperThreading), 12Gb RAM and two 10G NICs
(one in client LAN and another in server LAN).
> ATS is configured with hwloc support, caching is disabled, squid blob logging is disabled
too.
> I started from the config close to default: http://pastebin.com/AVQnJ4VL
>
> But whatever I tried, I cannot force ATS to keep more than 500mbit/s (6k requests/s in
my test) and do not start to drop requests. I tried to:
> - limit working threads number to number of cores and let ATS decide how to map threads
to cores;
> - leave 6 cores to NIC interrupts and bind ATS working threads + accept thread to another
cores so avoiding cores from changing tasks (ats/interrupts);
> - play with memory related config variables: system.mmap_max, thread.default.stacksize,
allocator.thread_freelist_size, etc.

> Hmmmm, that sounds bad. Have you verified that the origin side can do beyond this ? Is
there anything in the logs about e.g. connection throttling, or anything else ? Is it limiting
the number of origin connections?

> I’ll see if I can setup something in our lab to test this, it’s a bit unwieldy right
now, so not sure I can get access to something with this sort of capacity.