From Igor Galić <i.ga...@brainsware.org>
Subject Re: [CANCEL] Release v4.1.1
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2013 08:02:22 GMT

I've been asked to explain what exactly the consequence is
of TS-2384 and if it causes the cache to be reinitialized.

That is not the case. The background is that the generated
cache-lookup *key* is wrong in 4.1.x. This means that the
existing objects on the disks will stay in place, but we
won't be able to find them, because we are looking in the
wrong place. As such we simply store the object again.

That's /almost/ the same for people running with a 60 TiB
cache, because everything requested is also stored again,
and after a while the old objects that have been lying around
for a while will be rotated out so that's bad. People with
tiny caches or very high turn overs might even notice the
downward spike in 304s.

The good news is that we have identified the cause[1] real
quick and are preparing a fix and regression tests to catch
these things in the future.

I have also updated the Jira ticket with this explanation.

So long,

[1]: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=trafficserver.git;a=commitdiff;h=c40c601c9167c4937f972daf7825821e527a5f67