From Pavel Kazlenka <pavel.kazle...@measurement-factory.com>
Subject Re: Can ATS keep more than 500mbit/s traffic for single instance?
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2013 20:46:50 GMT
You are right, I see
 >Server {0x2b74d72c1700} WARNING: too many connections, throttling
in diags.log

My test simulates 1k origin servers and 1k user-agents on 500 clients (2
agents per ip). Which kind of connections this warning about (client or
server side?) and what can be improved here?

On 11/21/2013 10:42 PM, Leif Hedstrom wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2013, at 11:50 AM, Pavel Kazlenka <pavel.kazlenka@measurement-factory.com>
wrote:

>> Hi gentlemen,
>>
>> I'm trying to estimate maximum performance of ATS 4.0.2 on single server in forwarding
proxy mode.
>> Server hardware is 6-core CPU ( +6 cores with HyperThreading), 12Gb RAM and two 10G
NICs (one in client LAN and another in server LAN).
>> ATS is configured with hwloc support, caching is disabled, squid blob logging is
disabled too.
>> I started from the config close to default: http://pastebin.com/AVQnJ4VL
>>
>> But whatever I tried, I cannot force ATS to keep more than 500mbit/s (6k requests/s
in my test) and do not start to drop requests. I tried to:
>> - limit working threads number to number of cores and let ATS decide how to map threads
to cores;
>> - leave 6 cores to NIC interrupts and bind ATS working threads + accept thread to
another cores so avoiding cores from changing tasks (ats/interrupts);
>> - play with memory related config variables: system.mmap_max, thread.default.stacksize,
allocator.thread_freelist_size, etc.

> Hmmmm, that sounds bad. Have you verified that the origin side can do beyond this ? Is
there anything in the logs about e.g. connection throttling, or anything else ? Is it limiting
the number of origin connections?

> I’ll see if I can setup something in our lab to test this, it’s a bit unwieldy right
now, so not sure I can get access to something with this sort of capacity.