From Jean Baptiste Favre <webmas...@jbfavre.org>
Subject Re: ATS - Performance Related Questions - High
Date Sat, 09 Nov 2013 15:14:18 GMT
On 09/11/2013 15:38, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 09.11.2013 15:25, schrieb Jean Baptiste Favre:
>> On 09/11/2013 09:13, Omid Kosari wrote:
>>> Bryan Call wrote
>>>
>>> Unfortunately dists are a bit lazy to implement latest versions . How we can
>>> use 4.x on ubuntu ?
>>
>> You can backport it :)
>>
>> But, since Ubuntu is based on Debian and Debian does not provides 4.x
>> yet, you'll have to adapt packaging from an earlier version. Using 3.3.2
>> version available in Debian experimental is a good start.
>>
>> Another solution is to build ATS from source. But then, you'll loose
>> packaging advantages
>
> says who?
>
> people which seriously maintain servers could/should learn how to make
> packages and that is pretty sure doable on Debian systems too

If you build any software from source and install it outside packaging
system, then, yes, you loose packaging advantages.
You'll get harder times to upgrade it and/or deploy it.

That said, I agree any serious admin should learn how to package
software for his platform. And it's definitely doable on Debian :)

This gives you the opportunity to enhance package to make it suits
*your* needs. for exemple, integrating fixes which are not yet released
(TS-1821 for Linux native AIO, just as an example :) ), and/or enable
experimental modules.

That said, I guess I'm one of them, running Debian Wheezy :)

# ls -1d trafficserver*
trafficserver
trafficserver_4.0.2-1~bbc72+1_amd64.changes
trafficserver_4.0.2-1~bbc72+1_amd64.deb
trafficserver_4.0.2-1~bbc72+1.debian.tar.gz
trafficserver_4.0.2-1~bbc72+1.dsc
trafficserver-4.0.2.tar.bz2
trafficserver-dev_4.0.2-1~bbc72+1_amd64.deb

Regards,
Jean-Baptiste