From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Can ATS keep more than 500mbit/s traffic for single instance?
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2013 19:42:17 GMT

On Nov 21, 2013, at 11:50 AM, Pavel Kazlenka <pavel.kazlenka@measurement-factory.com>
wrote:

> Hi gentlemen,
>
> I'm trying to estimate maximum performance of ATS 4.0.2 on single server in forwarding
proxy mode.
> Server hardware is 6-core CPU ( +6 cores with HyperThreading), 12Gb RAM and two 10G NICs
(one in client LAN and another in server LAN).
> ATS is configured with hwloc support, caching is disabled, squid blob logging is disabled
too.
> I started from the config close to default: http://pastebin.com/AVQnJ4VL
>
> But whatever I tried, I cannot force ATS to keep more than 500mbit/s (6k requests/s in
my test) and do not start to drop requests. I tried to:
> - limit working threads number to number of cores and let ATS decide how to map threads
to cores;
> - leave 6 cores to NIC interrupts and bind ATS working threads + accept thread to another
cores so avoiding cores from changing tasks (ats/interrupts);
> - play with memory related config variables: system.mmap_max, thread.default.stacksize,
allocator.thread_freelist_size, etc.

Hmmmm, that sounds bad. Have you verified that the origin side can do beyond this ? Is there
anything in the logs about e.g. connection throttling, or anything else ? Is it limiting the
number of origin connections?

I’ll see if I can setup something in our lab to test this, it’s a bit unwieldy right now,
so not sure I can get access to something with this sort of capacity.

— Leif