From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] New release process
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2013 22:07:26 GMT

On Aug 12, 2013, at 3:40 PM, Igor Galić <i.galic@brainsware.org> wrote

That was a mistake. However, the 3.3.x branch had a real purpose for my RM'ing, just as the
"4.x" branch in the WIki propopsal:

Imagine that you are making a release out of Master. You "git pull" it, look at the changes
(hopefully), make some tests, build it, etc., maybe fix a bug or two. In the mean time, Phil
commits 100 changes to master. What do you tag now for your release?

Granted you can tag as soon as you start your process, and as you make changes, fixes or whatever,
you retag accordingly. The 3.3.x branch was made to make this process easier.

To be honest, I don't care about this at all. The 3.3.x branch was a tool to make my life
easier, if other RMs have better tools or other methodologies, by all means, use those. Neither
of the proposals or changes depend on this, and I hope we can avoid getting hung up on technicalities
on how git works ;).

>> Ifor software of this nature. 1 a year is maybe too little from a
>> features/progress standpoint. Doing a minor (3.4 to 3.6) bump 2 or 3 times
>> a year seems reasonable to me. Probably closer to 2.
>
> really? even two seems too much to me, but maybe growing up with httpd
> I'm thinking too conservatively.

Fwiw, we had these discussions early on, and the general consensus was the releasing early
and often was the way to go. We can change that, it's what a healthy community is all about.
Fwiw, HTTPD releases fairly often: 25 releases of v2.2 and already 6 releases for v2.4. The
latter is roughly 4 releases per year (2.4.0 was released early 2012, right ?). What I think
HTTPD did different was very long times between major relies (v2.2 to v2.4).

Cheers,

-- leif