From James Peach <jpe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] New release process
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2013 21:03:36 GMT
On Aug 12, 2013, at 1:56 PM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:

> On Aug 12, 2013, at 2:28 PM, James Peach <jpeach@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Aug 12, 2013, at 12:56 PM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> On Aug 12, 2013, at 1:32 PM, James Peach <jpeach@apache.org> wrote:
>>>

>>> I think the fixed dates is a very minor issue in comparison to the compatibility
ideas. I personally think it's a step in the wrong direction (the rest of the OpenSource world
is moving towards agile methodologies), but I would not oppose fixed release dates if that's
the consensus of the community. It certainly does make the release process predictable.

>> I don't think that a fast release cycle can work without strong compatibility guarantee.
Who wants to deal with upgrade issues 3 or 4 times a year? The only way everyone will feel
comfortable upgrading is if it a no-brainer and always works.

> Why do they have to be exclusive? The proposal suggested basically:
>
> 	- <n> number of releases per year, where compatibility is guaranteed. We can make
n=4, that's good.
> 	- Once a year (or whatever, it doesn't specify), we allow to break compatibility.
>

> So, it would be safe for people to upgrade through the incremental releases (just as
has been the case for all stable releases so far). Once a year, or whatever, we have the option
to make an incompatible release. That doesn't mean we *have* to make an incompatible release.
We'd bump major version if/when such a release gets made (my suggestions was to aim for no
more than 1/ year).

> The downside is that it can be up to 1 year before an incompatible change gets into a
release. I personally think that's a reasonable compromise, if it can save a humongous amount
of headache to try to provide automatic migrations through every release.

Ok, I think that we are saying the same thing then.