From James Peach <jpe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: trafficserver-3.3.5 GeoIP dependency
Date Fri, 09 Aug 2013 23:35:27 GMT
On Aug 9, 2013, at 4:11 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 10.08.2013 01:04, schrieb James Peach:
>> On Aug 9, 2013, at 3:49 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:
>>> looks like 3.3.5 is linking GeoIP for whatever reason
>>
>> Looks like the libGeoIP check is using AC_SEARCH_LIBS and failing to remove the result
from $LIBS. Can you please file a bug?

> maybe got me wrong or did you mean "--disable-geoip" or "--without-geoip" should work

There is no --*-geoip configure option. The configuration checks for libGeoIP so that it can
build the geoip plugin in te case you build the experimental plugins. We should never be linking
libGeoIP anywhere else (that's the bug).

> GeoIP is there and found because it's used for webalizer/php-pecl-geoip
> but i want to avoid get pulled GeoIP as dependency on the dedicated ATS
> virtual machine
>
> what would be really cool is a "--with-minimzed" to build binaries with
> as less footprint as possible and after the switch maybe add explicit
> features like "--with-jemalloc" but a minimzed build only using the
> flags which are neeed for a simple, high-performance proxy

Yeh, there's a build option like that in there. It suffers from bitrot because there's no
maintainer and no agreement on what the minimal footprint ought to be. Increasingly I believe
that additional capabilities should be plugins.