From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: host database broken
Date Fri, 09 Aug 2013 22:34:01 GMT
On Aug 9, 2013, at 4:01 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:

>> I believe that the reason ATS does not use the system DNS API is that it is a
>> synchronous API and does not support additional records types (eg. SRV records)
>
> well, thats reasonable but why is "hostdb.config" needed at file if it can
> and should be commpletly removed after upgrades and is generated dynamically
> at startup?

You could argue that the hostdb.config info should be stored in the host.db file. But alas,
it is not, and it's by design as far as I know (comes from how it repurposed other cache code).
Since host.db is persistent, it needs the hostdb.config to function.Basically, it's the only
way it knows if you have made changes to records.config that is incompatible with the layout
of host.db, and when that happens, it reconfigures both host.db and hostdb.config accordingly.

HostDB definitely have (or had) a use case, where caching locally was important for performance
(after restart). This is probably no longer true, and I envision HostDB will go away as a
persistent cache in v3.6 (replaced with an in-memory cache only).

Cheers,

-- leif