From Reindl Harald <h.rei...@thelounge.net>
Subject Re: 3.3.5: performance regression?
Date Sat, 10 Aug 2013 15:14:39 GMT

Am 10.08.2013 16:46, schrieb Leif Hedstrom:
> On Aug 10, 2013, at 7:21 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:
>
>> has anybody compared 3.2 / 3.3 in performance?
>>
>> ab -c 200 -n 100000 http://<url>/rte/upload/logo.gif while "logo.gif" is
>> 643 bytes small and currently httpd without Trafficserver in front has
>> nearly the same perfomrance with even lower CPU
>
> I haven't seen this behavior. Are you positive the 3.3.5 results are cache hits ? And
if so, that they become RAM cache hits? Just trying to get some ideas here … :)

i hope so, if not that would be a bug

[root@testserver:~]$ curl --head http://rhsoft.testserver/rte/upload/logo.gif
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 15:09:31 GMT
Last-Modified: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 10:40:40 GMT
ETag: "283-411255ab33a00"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

on the origin mod_expires is in action to set 60 seconds
cache for images because in our case we have 100% dynamic
pages and the job of ATS is only hold back the image/css/js
requests from the preforking apache and offer KeepAlive

the 60 seconds are reflected in the curl-repsonse abvove
which comes from the origin (127.0.0.1:80)

<IfModule mod_expires.c>
 ExpiresActive On
 ExpiresByType image/jpeg A60
 ExpiresByType image/jpg A60
 ExpiresByType image/gif A60
 ExpiresByType image/png A60
 ExpiresByType text/css A60
 ExpiresByType text/html A60
 ExpiresByType text/javascript A60
 ExpiresByType text/comma-separated-values A60
 ExpiresByType text/tab-separated-values A60
 ExpiresByType application/javascript A60
 ExpiresByType application/x-javascript A60
 ExpiresByType application/xhtml+xml A60
 ExpiresByType application/xml A60
<IfModule/>

> Reclaimable freelist would not have these sort of performance discrepancies

yes, and it should not matter in a (ok small) cache with only a handful of objects