From Reindl Harald <h.rei...@thelounge.net>
Subject Re: host database broken
Date Fri, 09 Aug 2013 22:01:10 GMT

Am 09.08.2013 23:32, schrieb James Peach:
> On Aug 9, 2013, at 1:44 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:

>>> I was able to replicate this issue by changing the user ID of the traffic_server
process. There is a hidden file that stores some additional HostDB information and if that
can't be written the host.db never gets successfully reconfigured. Once I removed the hidden
file and made sure the directory permissions matched the ATS user, the host.db was reconfigured
successfully. Removing host.db caused a single start to reconfigure and subsequent restarts
had no issue.

>>> Check the file etc/trafficserver/internal/hostdb.config and the containing directory
to see if that is the problem. In particular that both are owned by 'ats' and not 'nobody'.
However, when I did this I got a
>> message in diags.log about the permission denied on that file.
>>
>> /etc/ is *readonly*
>> *period*
>>
>> yes, i know that TS complains about read-only filesystem
>> that is a bug and should be fixed
>>
>> *any* service which *writes* in /etc is broken
>> *period*
>>
>> services has to store their dynamic data in /var/lib/servicename
>> and/or /varcache/servicename and not elsewhere
>
> Yes, I agree that this behaviour can be undesirable. Maybe it's better for your environment
to configure trafficserver with --sysconfdir=/var/lib/trafficserver.
> If you file a bug, we can look into altering the default behaviour but it's likely to
be a difficult task

--sysconfdir=/var/lib/trafficserver does not help much because the application must
not write in it's configurations and without clustering there is no need to do so

if *all* configurations would go to /var/lib/trafficserver i had to
do ReadOnlyDirectories=/var/lib/trafficserver

the point is that /etc/trafficserver/internal/hostdb.config has to be in
/var/cache/trafficserver/hostdb.config

> I believe that the reason ATS does not use the system DNS API is that it is a
> synchronous API and does not support additional records types (eg. SRV records)

well, thats reasonable but why is "hostdb.config" needed at file if it can
and should be commpletly removed after upgrades and is generated dynamically
at startup?