From Reindl Harald <h.rei...@thelounge.net>
Subject Re: error: the requested command failed when trying to run /usr/bin/traffic_line -x
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2013 17:15:31 GMT

Am 07.08.2013 19:04, schrieb Alan M. Carroll:
> Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 7:33:13 AM, you wrote:
>
>> So when I'm saying some progress I meant that when I typed "service trafficserver
start" I got the prompt "* Not starting Apache Traffic Server"

> 'trafficserver' is a script, not a service description

wrong, it contains the following comments which are clearly sysvinit/lsb-headers
you need to install it in the correct folder aka /etc/init.d/

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          Traffic Server
# Required-Start:    $local_fs $remote_fs
# Required-Stop:     $local_fs $remote_fs
# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:      S 0 1 6
# Short-Description: Startup/shutdown script for the Apache Traffic Server
#                    HTTP/1.1 compliant caching proxy server.
### END INIT INFO

# Fedora:
#  When this file is installed as /etc/rc.d/init.d/trafficserver
#  and added to the chkconfig system with `chkconfig --add trafficserver`
#  then the default values of these variables can be overridden
#  in the /etc/sysconfig/trafficserver file
# Ubuntu:
#  Values read from /etc/default/trafficserver

> I install in '/opt/ats' and use the command
>
> 'sudo /opt/ats/bin/trafficserver start'
>
> to bring up Traffic Server. In your case, I think 'sudo /usr/bin/trafficserver start'
should work

on Fedora clearly "/usr/bin/traffic_cop" is started which *is* a
binary resulting in 3 processes and traffic_cop is also repsonsible
to restart "/usr/bin/traffic_server" which is *alo* a binary

so if you have a chance to use systemd ignore the shellscript

[root@proxy:~]$ cat /usr/lib/systemd/system/trafficserver.service
[Unit]
Description=Apache Traffic Server
After=network.service dnsmasq.service

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/traffic_cop
ExecReload=/usr/bin/traffic_line -x

[root@proxsystemctl status trafficserver.service
trafficserver.service - Apache Traffic Server
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/trafficserver.service; enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Mo 2013-08-05 16:39:01 CEST; 2 days ago
 Main PID: 19689 (traffic_cop)
   CGroup: name=systemd:/system/trafficserver.service
           ├─19689 /usr/bin/traffic_cop
           ├─19690 /usr/bin/traffic_manager
           └─19710 /usr/bin/traffic_server -M --httpport 80:fd=7