From James Peach <jpe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: host database broken
Date Fri, 09 Aug 2013 21:32:00 GMT
On Aug 9, 2013, at 1:44 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 09.08.2013 19:37, schrieb Alan M. Carroll:
>> Friday, August 9, 2013, 3:58:07 AM, you wrote:
>>
>>> i am pretty sure that "3.3.5-dev" has the same problem as currently 3.2.5
>>> and that is the cause for "Unable to locate the server named"
>>
>> I was able to replicate this issue by changing the user ID of the traffic_server
process. There is a hidden file that stores some additional HostDB information and if that
can't be written the host.db never gets successfully reconfigured. Once I removed the hidden
file and made sure the directory permissions matched the ATS user, the host.db was reconfigured
successfully. Removing host.db caused a single start to reconfigure and subsequent restarts
had no issue.

>> Check the file etc/trafficserver/internal/hostdb.config and the containing directory
to see if that is the problem. In particular that both are owned by 'ats' and not 'nobody'.
However, when I did this I got a
> message in diags.log about the permission denied on that file.
>
> /etc/ is *readonly*
> *period*
>
> yes, i know that TS complains about read-only filesystem
> that is a bug and should be fixed
>
> *any* service which *writes* in /etc is broken
> *period*
>
> services has to store their dynamic data in /var/lib/servicename
> and/or /varcache/servicename and not elsewhere

Yes, I agree that this behaviour can be undesirable. Maybe it's better for your environment
to configure trafficserver with --sysconfdir=/var/lib/trafficserver.

If you file a bug, we can look into altering the default behaviour but it's likely to be a
difficult task.

>>> -rw-r--r-- 1 ats ats 12M 2013-08-09 10:51 /var/cache/trafficserver/host.db
>>
>>> * if i delete this file and start TS it get's generated
>>> * but it never works
>>> * the errors below are at every restart
>>> * 3.3.5-dev just don't log it
>>
>>> if i pull "/var/cache/trafficserver/host.db" from a working host
>>> with 3.2.x with the same config it works
>>
>>> why can this thing not be disabled at all and normal DNS requests/memory
>>> caching be done like in any other application?

I believe that the reason ATS does not use the system DNS API is that it is a synchronous
API and does not support additional records types (eg. SRV records). We would like to clean
up (and possibly remove) the HostDB implementation, but currently there is no-one volunteering
to do that work, https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TS/HostDBandDNS.