From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: host database broken
Date Fri, 09 Aug 2013 22:43:00 GMT
On Aug 9, 2013, at 4:39 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:

>>> well, thats reasonable but why is "hostdb.config" needed at file if it can
>>> and should be commpletly removed after upgrades and is generated dynamically
>>> at startup?
>>
>> You could argue that the hostdb.config info should be stored in the host.db file.
But alas, it is not, and it's by design as far as I know (comes from how it repurposed other
cache code). Since host.db is persistent, it needs the hostdb.config to function.Basically,
it's the only way it knows if you have made changes to records.config that is incompatible
with the layout of host.db, and when that happens, it reconfigures both host.db and hostdb.config
accordingly.
>> HostDB definitely have (or had) a use case, where caching locally was important for
performance (after restart). This is probably no longer true, and I envision HostDB will go
away as a persistent cache in v3.6 (replaced with an in-memory cache only).

> if it would be placed in /var/cache/trafficserver instead of /etc/trafficserver/internal
> all would be fine - the point is that for security reasons no server process should
> need mandatory write access for /etc, not more and not less and for non-clustered
> all the messages below could go away easily

sounds good, file a bug and attach a patch :). It'd be a simple change I think, and now that
we've started v3.5.x development, it's ok to break compatibility.

-- leif