From "Alan M. Carroll" <...@network-geographics.com>
Subject Re: host database broken
Date Fri, 09 Aug 2013 17:37:44 GMT
Friday, August 9, 2013, 3:58:07 AM, you wrote:

> i am pretty sure that "3.3.5-dev" has the same problem as currently 3.2.5
> and that is the cause for "Unable to locate the server named"

I was able to replicate this issue by changing the user ID of the traffic_server process.
There is a hidden file that stores some additional HostDB information and if that can't be
written the host.db never gets successfully reconfigured. Once I removed the hidden file and
made sure the directory permissions matched the ATS user, the host.db was reconfigured successfully.
Removing host.db caused a single start to reconfigure and subsequent restarts had no issue.

Check the file etc/trafficserver/internal/hostdb.config and the containing directory to see
if that is the problem. In particular that both are owned by 'ats' and not 'nobody'. However,
when I did this I got a message in diags.log about the permission denied on that file.