From Igor Galić <i.ga...@brainsware.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] New release process
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2013 21:53:17 GMT

----- Original Message -----
> Hi all,
>
> I started a wiki with some ideas on how to streamline and simplify the
> release process:
>
> 	https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TS/New+Release+Processes

I'd like to address the contents of the wiki as they stand now
(2013-08-12T21:41+0000).

#1) I do *not* like the idea of master being RTC. I have no time to
flesh out a deep technical consideration for a veto (-1), so I'll
leave it as an expression of dislike, phrasing it as an opinion:

Unless we actually declare some other branch the development branch,
master should stay CTR. Even if we directly use master as the -dev
release branch, all that we have to do is make sure it compiles.
It *is* a -dev release after all, and it should be easy and as simple
as git tag -s 3.3.6 to release a new -dev release.

#2) I like the idea of getting rid of the odd/even releases.
Even though I am very fond of them :) -- I see how they reduce our
exposure to an audience that will actually test an upcoming release.

Having very small, incremental changes instead makes for much
smoother upgrades, but I'm with James on this one, that we SHOULD
provide tools for those upgrades. I'm think of it as DB schema
migrations in Rails or something like that. And at least for
the Configuration, I imagine this to go down easier once we have
one configuration format to rule them all.

#3) I'm not very fond of the idea of getting rid of patch-releases
though. To me this and many other points on this list seem like
we're working around our poor tools - or rather, working around
the poor way we're using those tools.

Those are my opinions, if you don't like them, I have others,
but I guarantee, you'll like those even less.

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org