From Nick Kew <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release v3.3.3
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2013 17:13:16 GMT

On 7 Jun 2013, at 17:07, Leif Hedstrom wrote:

> [...]
no
?

>>> -- Leif
>> That works (though I also needed to set pcre explicitly: configure
>> succeeded with the default but build failed).
>
> hmmm, I've always have had to use --with-pcre=/usr/local  on my Mac (I use HomeBrew).

My pcre is somewhat chopped about, for the benefit of something
else whose pcre usage was causing more serious trouble (refused
to work with mac native / homebrew build).  Hence that was not
unexpected, just a mention in passing of the configure/make discrepancy.
Worked fine with --with-pcre=/usr/local/pcre

>> It then proceeds to fail test for further spurious reasons that appear
>> to stem from mixing build components.  But nothing fatal.
> File bugs as necessary.

Didn't look like ATS bug.  Rather env bug.

>> Anyway, whence the CLANG requirement and bizarre manifestation
>> of the build error?  This is new in 3.3.x but I can't see it in CHANGES.
>>

> So, the story behind CLANG is complicated. Short story, the old gcc wrapper that Apple
used to support segfaults when compiling ATS. So, we forced it to only work with CLANG/CLANG++.

gcc was fine with 3.2.x.   I'd expect a CHANGES entry!
Guess I can't've been listening adequately when it was discussed.

> The compiler detection was later rewritten, so maybe it's easily possible to test for
"cc" or "c++" and be ok (since those are just clang now). It's important however that it doesn't
pick gcc/g++, cause that will always fail during the compilation phase (since the compiler
segfaults).

Yet it tried gcc (not cc or clang) first, and only complained as a side-effect
of testing flex!  That's what I find the most bizarre, and it rather suggests
the possibility of two bugs cancelling each other.

> File bugs on this too :).

Will do.  Might also try and patch it.

--
Nick Kew