From Nick Kew <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release v3.3.3
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2013 12:55:22 GMT

On 6 Jun 2013, at 00:05, Leif Hedstrom wrote:

> On 6/4/13 4:40 PM, Leif Hedstrom wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've prepared a release for v3.3.3, which has further improvements towards our v3.4.0
release. Please see the CHANGES file for more details:

> Just a reminder: We'll respin a new release tomorrow, v3.3.4, which fixes the bugs that
was identified. There are currently no bugs assigned for v3.3.4, if you have something that
needs to go into tomorrow release, please mark it for v3.3.4 before committing anything.

Both versions (and ISTR some earlier 3.3, though I may have let that slip)
have broken build:

./configure [options]
…
checking checking whether to auto-set compiler optimization flags... no
configure: error: clang is the only supported on compiler on Darwin

Digging a bit, it turns out the culprit is testing for flex:

configure:18840: gcc -o conftest -O0 -g -Wall -Werror -Ddarwin  conftest.c   >&5
  "_yywrap", referenced from:
      _yylex in ccVp3Hk0.o
      _input in ccVp3Hk0.o
      _main in ccVp3Hk0.o
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:18840: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:

Those symbols are in /usr/lib/libfl.a and the program is fine if I link it
manually.  But that's one helluva misleading error message!

(FWIW, I have flex 2.5.35 installed).

I've just been looking for where this was introduced, but have been frustrated
by an inability to see a potted history in the repos, as with svn's blame or
github's equivalent view.

--
Nick Kew